The coconut shell is composed of coconut fiber (up to 30%) and pith (up to 70%). Its ash content is about 0.6% and lignin is about 36.5%, which helps to turn it into charcoal fairly easily.
Coconut shell charcoal has a wide usage and high market value. If you master the technique of How to Make Charcoal Briquettes from Coconut Shell, it will bring you great wealth.
Where to get cheap and abundant coconut shells?
To build a profitable coconut charcoal production plant, you must first collect a large number of cheap coconut shells.
People often discard coconut shells after drinking coconut milk. In many tropical countries that are rich in coconuts, you can see many coconut shells piled up on roadsides, markets and processing plants. The coconut shell price is very cheap, so you can obtain abundant resources in here.
How to make coconut charcoal briquettes?
The coconut shell charcoal making process is: Carbonizing - Crushing - Mixing - Drying - Briquetting - Packing.
Put coconut shells into a carbonization furnace, heat to 1100°F (590°C), and then are carbonized under anhydrous, oxygen-free, high-temperature and high-pressure conditions.
Of course, you can also choose a very low-cost carbonization method. That is, burning coconut husk in a large pit. But the whole process may take you 2 hours or more.
Coconut shell charcoal keeps the shell shape or breaks into pieces after carbonizing. Before making charcoal briquettes, use a hammer crusher to crush them into 3-5 mm powders.
Coconut charcoal powder is much easier for shaping and can reduce the wearing of machine. The smaller the particle size, the easier it is to be pressed into charcoal briquettes.
As carbon coconut powder has no viscosity, it is necessary to add a binder and water to the charcoal powders. Then mix them together in a mixer.
1. Binder: Use natural food-grade binders like corn starch and cassava starch. They do not contain any fillers (anthracite, clay, etc.) and is 100% chemical-free. Usually, the binder ratio is 3-5%.
2. Water: Charcoal moisture should be 20-25% after mixing. How to know whether the moisture is ok or not? Grab a handful of mixed charcoal and pinch it by hand. If the charcoal powder doesn’t come loose, the humidity has reached the standard.
3. Mixing: The more fully mixed, the higher the quality of briquettes.
A dryer is equipped to make the water content of coconut charcoal powder less than 10%. The lower the moisture level, the better it burns.
After drying, the carbon coconut powder is sent to a roller-type briquetting machine. Under high temperature and high pressure, the powder is briquetting into balls, and then smoothly rolls down from the machine.
The ball shapes can be pillow, oval, round and square.
Packing and Selling
Pack and sell coconut charcoal briquettes in the sealed plastic bags.
Coconut shell charcoal benefits
- It is completely environmentally friendly and produced from sustainable natural resources. However, raw charcoal cuts down trees directly to burn charcoal, destroying the environment.
- Clean burning. No odor and smoke.
- Have much lower ash content (2-10%) than coal (20-40%).
- Cheaper than petroleum, coal or lignite.
- Long burning time. It can burn for at least 3 hours, which is 6 times higher than traditional charcoal.
- Large calorific value (5500-7000 kcal/kg). It burns hotter than traditional charcoal.
- Requires less charcoal for barbecues. 1 pound of coconut charcoal equals 2 pounds of traditional charcoal.
- Compact and durable. The coconut charcoal briquettes can withstand 10 drops without breaking.
Uses of coconut charcoal briquettes
Coconut charcoal briquettes have an extremely wide range of uses. Its demand is huge and shows an upward trend. At present, it is in short supply in the market.
BBQ charcoal briquettes
BBQ charcoal briquettes made of coconut shell can replace the traditional BBQ briquettes inside your grill. It is smokeless and odorless. The natural coconut material keeps food safe from wisps of burning petroleum or other harmful substances.
Coconara coal is a 100% pure nature coconut coal, which burns 3 times as much as any other natural coal. Eco-friendly and clean-tasting, coconara coal can be easily lit on a stovetop. It is the natural coal of choice for many hookah enthusiasts.
Activated coconut charcoal
Coconut shell charcoal powder can be made into the activated coconut charcoal. It is used in wastewater and drinking water for purification, decolorization, dechlorination and deodorization.
New research has proven that coconut shell charcoal can feed cattle, pigs and other poultry. This coconut shell charcoal feed can reduce diseases and increase their life.
As coconut shell charcoal has an amazing moisturizer and purification qualities, it is used in personal care products, such as soap, toothpaste, etc. You can also find some popular products on coconut charcoal powder teeth whitening in shops.